New to Linux and the open source world? We have compiled a huge list of resources to help you go through Linux and its distributions. Visit the full Linux guide page right now.
WPS Office is a well known cross platform office suite which also works on Linux desktop. Its interface is very much similar to that in Microsoft Office and has similar tools as well.
We thought – and a lot of other users – that the development of WPS office for Linux has stopped a long time ago. Because the last update they released was 1 year ago. Their forums is also full of spam and no one was answering any questions or issues opened there.
Fortunately, some hope finally came back again. WPS Office team has just released a new version for Linux desktop on 15th of June. Marked as Alpha21.
New Changes in WPS Office For Linux
This was the official changelog for the new release:
- WPS audiovideo playback reconstruction, supports more video formats and smoother playback.
- WPS added search function and access path.
- WPS added opening Linux remote file sharing feature.
- Optimized IO operations, improved WPS efficiency of opening files in 3 modules.
- Fixed differences in display effects of some controls in Linux versus Windows.
- Fixed display effects of special fonts in Presentation module.
- Fixed some incorrect texture fill effects in WPS export to PDF.
- Fixed broken hyperlinks in WPS export to PDF.
- Fixed thumbnail preview effects in Presentation.
- Added opening the file name and the maximum length supported by the path.
- WPS open dialogs will not always persist when opening documents，but will close after confirmation，enhances user experience.
This is how the new version looks like:
For the price of one cup of coffee per month:
- Support the FOSS Post to produce more content.
- Get a special account on our website.
- Remove all the ads you are seeing (including this one!).
- Help us get to our goal of 100 supporters, to start many initiatives.